Sunday, June 7, 2009

Acupuncturist, Heal Thyself

In the course of getting our degrees in TCM, we're all told about the dangers of exposing ourselves to exogenous pathogenic factors, particularly wind. So, what do I do? With some hint of wind signs already (itchy nose), I rode my bicycle to work in cool weather, with just short sleeve jersey and shorts. Come the next day, I had a nice wind cold.
Symptoms were fairly typical of wind strike. Weak sweat, achy neck, stuffed up nose, no particular thirst. Now, in hindsight, it seems fairly obvious that the appropriate formula would have been gui zhi tang (Cinnamon Twig Formula). Naturally, I didn't do that. Cognizant of some of my own internal deficiencies (blood deficiency, particularly) I took ren shen bai du san (Ginseng Powder to Overcome Pathogenic Influences). Whenever I took it, I would feel better, but then start to feel ill again a few hours later. So, either the formula was incorrect, or I wasn't taking a big enough dose.
After two days, wanting to get some sleep and not lie in bed blowing my nose, I took Nyquil. Big mistake. I slept okay, but woke up feeling far worse, with the same symptoms, and now with a congested chest. At this point, I stopped taking the ren shen bai du san, as it was now really inappropriate. I found myself wishing for some xiao qing long tang (Minor Blue-Green Dragon Formula). Too bad I couldn't get any. I just waited it out the old fashioned way, drinking plenty of fluids and teas, and sleeping.
As of this writing, I'm pretty much recovered, although still coughing up phlegm. By tomorrow, I'll be pretty much normal. But, from now on, I'll be more discriminating in what I prescribe for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment