Saturday, June 13, 2009

Water Swelling Follow-up

My patient with the back pain and the water swelling has returned several times to see me, and has improved each time. However, she still seems pretty exhausted when she comes in, and nothing I do can replace some good rest.
Still, I'm happy to say that the swelling in her legs has decreased, and that the angry looking varicose veins that displayed have toned down considerably. Her tongue still has a thin, yellow coat, but the body color is a more normal pale-red than before. It's not quite as puffy, nor are there any scallops.
She has become a huge fan of moxa (as have I), and practically demands its use when she comes in. I always use moxa with her on Du 4. The last time I saw her, I also used a brass moxa burner with a handle on it to move up and down her UB channels on her back. It's the first time I've used one on any patient (although I have used moxa boxes, but that's stationary).
She showed some signs of qi deficiency and complained of neck pain last time I saw her, so, aside from moxa at Du4, I also needled the following points: UB13, 17, 19, 40, 39, 60; Kidney 3, and luozhen. After treatment, she showed considerably more energy. Of course, this could purely be from getting a good rest, as I usually retain needles in her for a good 30 minutes, and let her sleep during that time. However, she continues to show signs of improvement overall.
If I had my druthers, I'd prescribe for her zhen wu tang. However, herbs aren't prescribed at SACHR, so this will have to wait for now.

1 comment:

  1. She might benefit from some bodywork following the needles. With the UB channel open even a basic shiatsu press along UB could help facilitate the drainage and pump up the volume on the needlework. Of course, you've done an extensive treatment with the moxa already. Perhaps just some work on the legs where the condition is likely to linger longer. I'd work down from the sacrum and then up again to help reconnect them so to speak.
    The weather is brutal on conditions like hers.

    ReplyDelete